Colonoscopy Preparation Instructions
IMPORTANT – Please Read These Instructions at Least 2 Weeks Before Your Colonoscopy.
Follow all of the instructions in this section EXACTLY as they are written:
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Bowel preparation kit (Peglyte or Colyte) from your local pharmacy
- No high fiber foods 1 week before the screening
- All liquid diet the day before the screening (avoid those coloured red/purple)
- Ensure you have someone to accompany you home after the screening. Expect to be in the clinic for 1.5 – 3 hours
- Bring your valid health card to the appointment
2 Weeks Before Your Screening
5 Days Before Your Screening
The Day Before Your Screening
Peglyte Solution Steps
Step 1. In the morning (day before your colonoscopy)
- Mix the Peglyte solution. Do this by adding water (4 litres) up to the fill line marked on the Peglyte container. Mix thoroughly and put in the fridge to chill. DO NOT DRINK THIS YET.
Step 2. In the afternoon (day before your colonoscopy):
- At 1PM, take 3 DULCOLAX tablets to help start the bowel cleansing process.
Step 3. In the evening (day before your colonoscopy):
- At 7PM (evening before procedure), begin drinking the Peglyte solution. Rapidly drink a glassful (8 ounces) every 10-15 minutes until you have finished 2 litres (half of the jug).
Step 4. In the morning (the day of your colonoscopy) – Remember, no solid food until AFTER your procedure:
- About 5 hours before your colonoscopy (day of your procedure), begin drinking the remaining 2 litres of Peglyte solution. Rapidly drink a glassful (8 ounces) every 10-15 minutes until finished the remaining 2 litres..