For patients who wish to have their procedures done at DVEC, please make sure you read over all of our exclusion criteria. Patients that fall within one or more of the exclusion criteria (below) should have their procedures done in a hospital setting instead.
Patients can book the procedure with DVEC if they meet the following criteria:
You can ask your family physician to fax over a completed referral form to 416-638-5043. If you do not have a family doctor, you can print our referral form and ask a doctor at any walk-in clinic to fill it out.
Patients need to book directly with a hospital or speak with their family doctor if they fall into one or more of the exclusion criteria listed below.
Exclusion Criteria for a Screening-Related Colonoscopy
Patients who fulfill any of these exclusion criteria but have a strong indication for colonoscopy should be referred to an individual GI consultant for assessment.
- Age less than 18 years and greater than 74 years
- Obesity Class 3: BMI 40 or greater*
- Cardiac related surgery (CABG, angioplasty, or stent/grafts) within past 6 months.
- All other surgeries (e.g., chest/abdominal, joint repair) within past 3 months
- Acute Coronary syndrome within 12 months
- Myocardial infarction within 12 months
- Angina with symptoms in past 6 months
- Congestive Heart Failure. Moderate to severe with marked limitation of activity
- COPD. Moderate to severe and poorly controlled
- Home Oxygen or Oxygen dependent
- CPAP with a BMI greater than 35*
- Cerebrovascular event with significant deficits or within past 12 months
- Seizure disorder (frequent or poorly controlled)
- Dementia or significant cognitive impairment
- End stage liver disease (any history of variceal hemorrhage and/or coagulopathy and/or encephalopathy and/or ascites).
- Chronic renal insufficiency (glomerular filtration rate [GFR] less than 45 or creatinine greater than 150)
- Platelet count less than 100
- Advanced HIV/AIDS
- Any other condition that would impact life expectancy so as to make screening irrelevant.
*Note: Cases reviewed individually by screening facility.
We accept Health Cards from all provinces except Quebec.
For patients from Nova Scotia or other provinces who are on a long waiting list, we can book an appointment as fast as you can be available in Toronto. Please call us to book the appointment. You will need to book a hotel the day before the appointment and the day of the appointment, to rest.